The Kigamboni Community Centre (KCC) was founded in 2007 by a group of friends from Kigamboni. These were Festo, Rashid, Nassoro and George. After suffering from severe family poverty, parental abuse, lack of education and homeless childhoods, they wanted to give back to the community that helped them grow into respectable adults. With a lot of work, sacrifice and determination, they started teaching their skills to local children in the nearest available shelter. As the children started dedicating themselves to their education and community, the dream of a viable and sustainable community centre started to grow. In 2009, KCC obtained official recognition as a registered not-for-profit organization in Tanzania.
KCC operates on the contributions made by its dedicated management team and local as well as international volunteers. We offer services to hundreds of community members on a daily basis. Many of the activities are taught by former students of KCC.
KCC’s vision, values and mission
- Vision: We dream of a united, supportive and creative world without poverty.
- Values: We value respect, equality, creativity, trust, peace and safety as well as uniqueness.
- Mission: We strive to eliminate poverty through community-led social and economic development. We bring people together to support each other by sharing of their knowledge, passion, creativity and skills.
KCC has shown me the heart and soul of Kigamboni and Tanzania. KCC will be the one thing I will bring back with me to Denmark. Love you guys!
– Casper, visitor from Denmark
I’ve had an amazing time here with the KCC family. These 7 weeks were great. You guys rock!
– Rikka, volunteer from Finland
I really admire you guys, KCC! It’s so inspiring to see creativity & such a happy spirit surrounding this place!!!
– Amina, visitor